Categorizing is part of life for everyone, even those who claim they are unorganized. Our brains are always sorting experiences, knowledge, and thousands of other messages so they don't explode. I like how Cleveland acknowledged that this is important and normal for us as humans - but then qualified that this is not always helpful, and even destructive, particularly in regards to other people. I find myself doing this - putting people into boxes based on a couple insignificant externalities or things that I've heard, and judging whole groups based on these boxes.
As a tutor, I find myself thinking that all the big football guys who come in for tutoring are a little dim and don't care much about academics. But this stereotype has been proven false a couple of times when the students who come in show that they are actually dedicated to understanding their classes and doing well in them. I like being proven wrong in my assumptions, but I need to remind myself that I shouldn't have these assumptions in the first place.
When people see me, they probably think I'm a typical American college student because I'm white and I live in the USA. There are already a host of stereotypes associated with this description, but what most people don't know is that I'm actually a homeschooled missionary kid from Mexico. I'm also an artist, a writer, a dancer. I listen to K-pop and watch anime. Stereotypes are broken, more stereotypes are brought forward. I wonder if people associate certain stereotypes with me - I'm eccentric, I'm bad at math, I have no life, etc. Then I wonder if those assumptions are true of me. Some are, which I want to embrace (or quietly cry about, since I actually am very bad at math), and some aren't, which I want to announce to everyone I come across that they aren't true. I know that I am not what most people expect, and what I find to be so incredible is that this true for most other people as well. If I remember that everyone has something unexpected, something new to bring to the table, hopefully I can catch myself before I think "dumb jock" the next time a football player comes in for tutoring.
I greatly appreciate your honest reflection on categorizing. It is something that I find myself doing as well! I do not intend for it to degrade a certain group of people, but often times it does. Thinking about how people might categorize you is a good way to reverse the role of stereotypes. It can show how hurtful categorizing can be. I would not want someone to put me "inside of a box;" therefore, I should not do it to others. This is easier said then done. It will take a lot of practice but after reading and discussing this issue, I am willing to put in the work to change.
ReplyDeleteI fall into the same trap of stereotyping the football guys, especially since I share a dorm wing with a bunch of them. But that's why this chapter of Cleveland's was especially convicting for me. I've met a few football guys, and sometimes they are genuinely nice and intelligent guys. Not only do I need to be more respectful of others, but I also need to be mindful of my mental categories that need to either be revised or abolished.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you're doing a good job of identifying your own stereotypes as well as thinking about how people may categorize and group you. In some ways, this ability to quickly group people can be a survival skill, but again, I think this is why God asks us to "take every thought captive."
ReplyDelete